Faculty members at the O’Neill School of Public and Environmental Affairs at IUPUI have developed a summer course offering that will give students a wide-ranging perspective on the effects of COVID-19.
“Pandemic Perspectives: COVID-19 and Public Policy” will feature a dozen O’Neill faculty members, who will present issues associated with the pandemic from the viewpoint of their respective research fields. The class will cover different perspectives of the pandemic, including public administration, nonprofit, criminal justice, economic, social justice, arts, and legal aspects.
The course will be both synchronous and asynchronous with sessions recorded for later viewing. Professors will discuss the multi-sector response and future consequences to COVID-19.
The course is open to all IUPUI undergraduate and graduate students. The course is cross-listed as SPEA-J 470, SPEA-V 450, SPEA-J 550, or SPEA-V 550.
Covered topics include:
- Social entrepreneurship seminar on the financial implications of the pandemic (Instructor: Fredrik Andersson)
- Social distancing and crime (Instructor: Jeremy Carter)
- COVID-19 and jail populations (Instructor: Eric Grommon)
- New. Not normal: Artists, the creative sector, and innovation after the pandemic (Instructor: Douglas Noonan)
- Micro- and Macroeconomic Aspects of COVID-19 (Instructor: Jerome Dumortier)
- Change communication and organizational change (Instructor: Marlene Walk)
- Civil liberties implications of the pandemic (Instructor: Sheila Kennedy)
- Disparate impact for groups and the role of institutions, policy (Instructor: Dr. Breanca Merritt)
- Nonprofit management and strategic management: Pivoting to emergency and then post-emergency orientation (Instructor: Jamie Levine Daniel)
- Politics, democracy, and expertise in a time of crisis (Instructor: Adam Eckerd)
- Pandemic Response (Instructor: William Foley)
- State Government Responses to COVID-19 (Instructor: Peter Federman)
The class, which runs July 6 through August 5, is now open for registration.
Non-O’Neill students should contact Nicole Amonette at email@example.com for enrollment options.